This is a book helped me succeed. Apply the knowledge, and take action. Start the countdown: 48 days to the Work You Love, begins today! This book helped me get into the best position I’ve ever had, and I hope it inspires you as well.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy here.
AN OVERVIEW, WHAT TO EXPECT FROM 48 DAYS
Table of Contents
- 1 AN OVERVIEW, WHAT TO EXPECT FROM 48 DAYS
- 2 PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF 48 DAYS
- 3 CLOSING THOUGHTS ON 48 DAYS
This was a great read for me, and it came at a time when I especially needed it. I was quite frustrated with my job at the time: faced with virtually no opportunity to grow, get promoted, or otherwise “move-up” at the point I was at. There were incredibly long hours, and too many missed family events. After years of loyalty and sacrifice, I was nowhere closer to where I wanted to be. But where I wanted to be was actually just around the corner.
I was at a great company and knew there were other jobs that I was interested in. However, I was concerned with the concept of “switching career paths” and didn’t want to completely start-over… again… Honestly, I was discouraged and frustrated…
This book was exactly what I needed to read. It spoke to my heart, encouraged me, and helped put me back on my feet. What was a troubling trial turned into a wonderful turn of events. I am truly blessed and excited to say it all worked out well in the end. While time has since passed, the story still feels fresh in my mind.
There is something for everyone in this book. Even if you’re already in “the perfect job”, this book can encourage you and help you help others. Additionally, it never hurts to be prepared. Especially in today’s uncertain market.
Get a copy of Dan Miller’s book, today!
Resource Richness and Readability of 48 Days
48 Days to the Work You Love is packed full of practicality and positivity. It is broken down into specific steps for each day, and it keeps you focused on “the prize” at the end of the book: the job you love. Mr. Miller also does a good job keeping the portions in “bite-size” chunks which I especially appreciated as time is always at a premium.
Another great feature of the book is the list of templates for resumes, cover letters, and a basic personality test (I love those). They are especially helpful for someone looking for a new perspective on a resume, and I recommend checking them out. The book also contains helpful interview preparation and describes strategies for the big day. For more information, effectively an addendum to the written book itself, Mr. Miller also has a website and blog. I felt like I had a professional helping me every step of the journey.
Application & Adaptability of 48 Days
This book is especially focused on action, so you won’t have to worry about what to do. Additionally, the book is relatively easy to apply in your specific situation. The points are broad enough to apply conceptually and specific enough to tailor the activities to your day. I did find some chapters to be a bit long-winded, and perhaps a little fluff here and there. Regardless, I always enjoyed some encouragement or uncovered a nugget of information. The book is there as a reference and a guide. I ended up reading and enjoying it all but found I focused more time on the sections addressing the help I needed.
Mr. Miller also does a good job keeping the focus on the end result, and he offers encouragement for inevitable periods of disappointment during the hunt for your next opportunity. In addition, the book is chock-full of inspiring quotes. I really like that feature; it helped keep me uplifted and in high spirits through the year-long job hunt I was on. Write a few down – many of them are excellent reminders.
PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF 48 DAYS
Almost every section of the book contains a tip, recommendation, action item, inspirational quote, or general form of encouragement. The theme is positive, but not too “fluffy” for my taste. I felt like I underlined or highlighted a lot of information my first time through it, and so it is hard to pick my favorites. Here are a few points that served me well, and I hope they help you out too.
The Importance of Positivity and Perseverance
This really spoke to me. It is easy to look back on a difficult time and reflect on how hard it was knowing that you made it in the end. The tough times don’t seem so bad after all. However, doing the drought, the long nights, the up-hill grind (or whatever the case may be) it is so very important to keep your chin up. By staying mentally, physically, financially, and spiritually healthy you’re helping to set up your own success. Take charge. You CAN do this!
Top 10 Takeaways
- Commit, and then engage with others about your 48 Day Plan. Create accountability and encouragement with your tribe!
- Follow-through and follow-up with each assignment in the book. Even if you can’t do the full assignment in one day, don’t fall into the trap of doing it later. Do what you can, but do it today.
- Focus on and apply yourself to Mr. Miller’s 7 Areas for Achievement: Financial, Physical, Personal Development, Family, Spiritual, Social, and Career. I think these are GREAT goals and reflect a healthy balance in life.
- Conduct a thorough Job Research, and apply yourself to the research assignments. I also had a mentor, and they were invaluable in this process of understanding where I needed to focus my efforts.
- Prep, Plan, and Practice for your interview and post-interview follow-up. The book has some great material to help with all of this. Have your questions ready for the interviewer, too! The interview goes both ways.
- Brace for, and properly deal with “Job Search Disappointment” on your journey. When you’re up against the wall, try to break the cycle with more exercise, by looking for additional opportunities to volunteer, and seeking positive reinforcement.
- Cultivate and grow your Emotional Intelligence. Take charge of your situation and do what you can with what you have. Don’t play the blame game.
- Promote yourself (without becoming the poster child of narcissism).
- Know that You have what it Takes, and Take Action NOW. Not to
- Get going already! 🙂
CLOSING THOUGHTS ON 48 DAYS
Maybe you’re at a cross-roads in your professional development, or maybe you are tired of the day-to-day in a job that really doesn’t suite you. Take the time, invest the money, start the journey. Pick up a copy, and begin your own 48 Days to the Work You Love!
When you’re going through the book, scan the parts that don’t directly apply to you, and about 220 pages later you will be better equipped to hammer out your path. The daily action items within those covers will be where you spend a lot more time. For me, the reading was fulfilling and it was energizing to finish the book and then do the assignments for each day as well. This approach – reading the book through, and then each day doing the assignment – seemed to work quite well for me. It was a good balance of short and long-term focus.
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors! Keep up the hard work, keep developing yourself, and keep cultivating Mêtis in your Money Matters. Diligently pursue excellence, my friends!
Here are a few more posts that might interest you:
- Motivation with Your Money
- A Practical Financial Strategy during COVID-19
- Your Personal Finance Journey
THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY
Thanks for checking out Mêtis Money Matters! We certainly appreciate it. If you’re new to our blog, or for more information on how you can start your financial journey today, be sure to check out our “Getting Started” Series.
To stay current on new material, please consider subscribing, today.
Also, please check us out on social media as we continue to grow and develop more content.
Feel free to leave us a comment or question. We would love to hear from you – let’s keep the conversation going in the comments, below!